The parish has its origins in the early Italian immigrants who came to the district in large numbers during the 1940s. In 1949 the Archbishop of Adelaide asked the Capuchin Order to assist with pastoral care for the Italian immigrants.
The first Capuchin Friars were accommodated in a tin cottage on what is now Silkes Road. By 1952 four acres of land were acquired, and in October 1953 a Church was opened as an Italian Migrant Centre.
In 1960, the Centre ceased to be part of the Hectorville Parish, and the separate Newton Parish of St Francis of Assisi was formed.
In 1965, St Francis of Assisi School, staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph, opened with 70 students in Years 1 to 3. By 1969, St Francis had grown to a Year 1-7 school with an enrolment of just under 200.
In 1975, two stream classes required extra room and the Open Space Unit was opened. In 1981, the Library extension was added. There was major upgrading of the grounds and buildings in 1988, including the unit verandah and brick paving of play areas.
In 1990, the school made a time capsule to celebrate its 25th anniversary and was opened in 2015, for the 50th anniversary of the school. New art work and items about the school have been placed in the capsule again, to be opened in 2040.
The Montevergine Building was opened in 1993 to cater for the rapidly growing student population. By 1994, with an enrolment of 460 children, St Francis of Assisi became a complete two stream R-7 school.
The school continues to grow with a third stream introduced from Reception in 1997, and the continuing need for more classrooms. The Administration Block was upgraded and extended in 1998.
The Multi Purpose Facility was completed in 2012 and is used as a gymnasium, a hall, and has attached to it a cafe style area for use which ajoins the Canteen.
For each and every one of the students attending St Francis, the school continues to strive to provide a quality education based on Christian values.